The benefits of a work lunch
Now let’s get this straight from the outset, what we are talking about here is when you break a meeting to share some food. What we absolutely don’t agree with is working through your lunch or eating your lunch at your desk. We run a business café in West Lothian and on a regular basis we see people nipping in for a sandwich and taking it back to their desk. The health implications of this we will talk about in a later blog. Today we want to talk about the benefits to having food with your meetings, so here are our top 5 benefits:
- Build Rapport: The board room break for food is really an extension of the meeting, it’s a part of your meeting where people tend to be more relaxed and rapport building can take place, often helping the second half of your meeting run a little more smoothly.
- Represent your brand: The food choices you make say a lot about your business, the way it’s presented is as important as the food types that are on the tray. Imagine a bundle of sandwiches from the meal deal section of your local supermarket vs a platter of sandwich triangles with a variety of fillings with a variety of bread laid out with some fresh salad garnish. What image would you prefer represented your business?
- Keep your participant’s on the ball: Improper hydration and sustenance affects your mental performance and mood. Don’t run the risk of having your meeting derailed because someone in that meeting didn’t eat or drink anything; take those matters into your own hands.
- Get some headspace; having a strategic break in a meeting can sometimes be very useful. Think about those Wimbledon games that get rained off and are restarted the following day, the tables often turn and with a fresh start the underdog often succeeds, and remember it’s you who dictates when you break for lunch, use that power wisely.
- Free food: everyone loves some free food, so when you can get your lunch and claim it back on expenses, you know it’s going to taste better than food you had to pay for yourself!
Next time you are planning a workplace meeting and food is going to play a part, don’t leave it to the last minute, think about it strategically and let it play a part in the success of your meeting. Give us a chance to help you pick your foods and meet those all-important dietary requirements. email@example.com